Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Jud's Journey by Fay Waldemar McCracken


"Jud's Journey" by Fay Waldemar McCracken -

I don't normally have time to read since my wife spends 12+ hours per day and has books coming in the house faster than she can read them, so every thing else is left to me. (It is a good thing I'm on disability and can stay home most of the time.) A few times each year, I decide to take some time for me to relax with a good book.

"Jud's Journey" was a good read, picked up the pace quickly, yet maintained a pace that seemed plausible, not too fast nor too slow. I was able to relate with all the charactors, at least to understand them. At times I found myself recalculating Jud's age as the book progressed to see if I felt a person that age could do what he was doing. I think Fay presented a logically capable, person of that age and era, with realistic challenges.

Just as I felt the book was winding down to a close, another chapter opened a whole set of new challenges that wrapped up all the charactors well and left me with a very good feeling about the book, and the time I spent reading it. I started one afternoon and read over a fourth of it, then didn't get back to it for a few days. (Usually kills my desire to finish a book) My wife had already announced I was reading it, so I went back and picked it up again. Before I knew it, it was after 1:00 AM and my self imposed bedtime is 10:00 PM. I still had only abour 40 pages to read and nearly stayed up, but picked it up agian first thing in the morning to read what I thought was the winding down, only to be pulled into yet another challenge.

Jud wasn't a perfect son, but I would have been very proud to have him as mine. By the way, I'm a 64 year old male with 3 grown, no, ADULT children. This book is not just for teens, boys or girls, but for anyone above the age of 8, whether male or female. Those under that age will just have to get their parents or older siblings to read it to them. Everyone will love it.

Forever Friends Rating 4 Stars by Bob
Until Next Time, See You Around The Book Nook

Jud's Journey by Fay McCracken
Publisher: American Book Publishing Group
Pub. Date: June 2004
ISBN-13: 9781589821446
212pp

No comments: