Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Anna's Prayer by Karl Beckstrand, illustrations by Shari Griffiths


Anna's Prayer by Karl Beckstrand, illustrated by Shari Griffiths

When I received this book a couple of weeks ago to review, I had planned on reading it to my live-in 9 year old granddaughter Violet, but I didn't get the job done until yesterday when I also read Nubs to her. She loved both, as did I.

Anna Anderson and her older sister Ida, along with their mother, live in a small Swedish village. They are poor, but happy. When they join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, they are persecuted and their mother is fired from her job. Soon, she sends both Ida and Anna to America for a beter life and Ida gets a job in Idaho and lives with a member family and Anna travels alone to Salt Lake to stay with an aunt. When Anna arrives all alone late at night at the train station, she finds her aunt not there waiting for her. Anna says a prayer that her aunt comes for her and her prayer gets answered in a way that is remarkable. On coming to a strange country where she doesn't speak English makes things a whole lot harder for Anna. This is a true story and the illustrations are exquisitely done by Shari. I highly recommend this book for everyone who enjoys stories about their ancestors.

Forever Friends Rating 5 Stars by Teri
Until Next Time, See You Around The Book Nook.

I received this book from Karl.

Leatherwood Press
Published: October 2008
ISBN: 978-1-59992-113-6
30pp

No comments: