Thursday, December 27, 2012

THE CHRISTMAS TRAIN  A TRUE STORY  by THOMAS S. MONSON and illustrated by DAN BURR





When I first saw this book on thecover of my Deseret Book catalogue, I didn't realize until it came via Fed-exfrom Deseret, that I'd already read this true story in another Deseret Book a couple of yearsago en ttitled Christmas With The Prophets,so I was glad to see a children's version.

When my caregiver saw the cover, she said it looked like an old book and I told her the story took place when our prophet was a very young boy and that the cover was a better representative of a by-gone era. 

Tommy was asked by his mother what he w anted for Christmas and he thought about it, saying he wanted an electric train. He knew times were rough, but still hoped for that electric train.

When his mother brought in a wooden train set to give to his friend, he was excited about the oil tanker and hooked it to his new set.  When they arrived and gave his friend the other set, his friend was so excited.  Tommy then left to run home to get the oil tanker he'd left behind, plus two others from his electric set.  It was then that President Thomas S. Monson learned the true meaning of Christmas,that it's more blessed to give than to receive.

I give this book 5 stars.

I received my ARC from Dave Kimball from Deseret and will be giving this book to my almost 7 year old grandson on Saturday. 

Publisher:  Deseret Books
Published Date:  November 2012
ISBN: 978-1-60907-182-0
29pp


No comments: